Monday, February 10, 2014

Parasites Strike Again!

I don't understand! I am a surgical technician! I know how to wash my hands...and I know how to wash them good! I open doors with my skirt. I never touch my face, I go through the bath and body hand sanitizer bottles like a baby wets his diaper! Seriously, I haven't lost my sterile technique! It's true, I have gotten a little bit lazy about what I put in my mouth...its been 8 months and I thought my stomach would be invincible. ha. ha. 

When I got to Samala, i was just finishing my first round of parasites. My companion and I decided that we should give our bodies a break, so we stopped eating with the members. I hope you know I have become a real CHEF GIRLRD with my camping stove. Anyway, for a while (1 week) I felt so good...the best I have felt my entire mission because I was enjoying green smoothies everyday. Nothing ever lasts forever. Well, we went to the Bishops house one night and of course right when we get there the obispis wife goes running into the kitchen (I'm thinking please no, I'd rather eat dark chocolate for the rest of my life). Two minutes later I see two huge plates of "food".  Lets see... warm mayonnaise, processed meats, a curly black hair, and some platanos with a pound of grease on top. After that we were gonnnerrrs. We both have parasites. My poor companion has it worse than I do. We gotta stay close to the house...yeah.
Other than that, my spirits are high! This week was another challenging one. I lost my voice. So I sounded like a gringa horse speaking Spanish. I bet you've never heard that one right? We found a lot of positive people this week and I am really excited about it! Each one of them needs the gospel in their lives.
So many things happen in my week I never know what to tell you guys and I just saw an email from dad that says he is going to change my room into the "weight room".  Distracted.  Don't even think about it dad. 

Here's a list because I don't know any other way to do it!

1. What did I study this week?
Well there is a really good chapter in the Book of Mormon. I have to admit that before my mission I would skim past this chapter because it is super long and its a parable about trees and fire. It just didn't catch my attention. That was really dumb of me. This chapter rocks! It's Jacob 5...go read it! It was just what I needed to read! We have had a lot of challenges in our area and one day I found myself asking, "What am I supposed to do here? Where do I start! It is a mess!" (example of bad missionary attitude) In this chapter the Lord of the vineyard asks FOUR different times, "What could I have done more for my vineyard?"  After that I was like duh Hermana Minnick, try something new! Be creative! Use the brain that Heavenly Father gave you! So, every night during planning Hermana Leyva and I asked, "What could we have done more for the barrio Samala, the members, the less actives, recent converts, our investigators?"  We saw so many miracles because we asked this question. I encourage you to ask yourself the same.

2. We saw a miracle...
Yesterday was Sunday, as you all know. Sunday is a day of stress...for the missionaries at least! Give them a good pat on the back next Sunday! Anyways, we were doing our weekly pass by the house and take our investigators to church and the nobody was home, I got like 30 excuses..I was thinking "Please not again! Someone has to come!!" Finally we got to our last investigators house..Antonio. His little girl came to the door and we asked for her Dad... She said, "He told me to tell you he is sleeping." Uh huh. We were sad. But, the Lord has a purpose and so we started passing by every less active we knew. We made sure that we did our part, then we went to church. We waited and waited at the door and there came Antonio (he was riding his grandsons tiny bicycle) I have never been so excited to see a grown man roll in on a kid bike! When we do our part, the Lord pulls through!

3.  Two quotes I love:
"Salvation was NEVER a cheap experience!" Jefferey R. Holland
"As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free."  Battle Hymn of the Republic
I love you guys so much!
Dad please don't ruin my room.

Love,
hermana minnick

No comments:

Post a Comment