Thursday, April 10, 2014

A random letter...

Family, here it goes:

1. I asked a little girl in my ward what her favorite holiday is and she said, "General Conference." I was like, "Yeah. Mine too." Seriously though!! It was AWESOME!! I only got to see like 5 talks but I was grateful for that. Can I just tell you what General Conference is like here in Guatemala. First, on Saturday morning we show up at 9:30 a.m. with our investigators...doors locked...lights out. I was like, "HELLO, the Prophet is going to speak in T-30 minutes and it takes a Guatemalan at least one hour to successfully work the technology stuff!" So yeah, they finally show up and like I predicted it took 45 minutes for them to get the satellite to work. Then it was only in English so we were all translating. After a lot of silent prayers it worked. In attendance? 18 missionaries, 40 investigators, my Bishop, 3 members and the Stake Presidency. On Sunday the members decided to show up. We had 5 investigators which was a miracle and I was so happy! Halfway through the nortes went to the office to watch it in English. I loved every second of it. 

Things I concluded after general conference:

   a) EVERY SESSION OF GENERAL CONFERENCE IS IMPORTANT because there is not only 1 prophet seer and revelator, there are 15. 

   b) I will always back up our prophets and apostles because they are men called of God. They receive revelation for us. They want what is best for us. If the world doesn't like that - that's the world's problem. I follow the Lord's plan and not Satans. No matter how beautifully presented Satan's plan may be, I will not fall into his trap. Don't be the mouse that thinks he can get the cheese (they always die...not only physically but spiritually too).

   c) I will always invite as many people as I can to listen to our prophet. Side note - Weston, put a goal right now to fill a bus of people for the October General Conference.  I'll do it here in Guatemala, you do it there in Mexico. But, I'm going to fill two and you're going to lose!!!

   d) I love the Motab. 

   e) Mom, please send me the Ensign because I missed half of General Conference (note from Tami...English copies of the Ensign are like gold in Guatemala! Best missionary package stuffer!)

2. There were changes and I stayed in Samala. I was surprised and shocked but I guess my work is not done here! My new companion is Hermana Aveñdano from Puebla Mexico! I love Mexicans Weston! They are so chill and they work hard. Start practicing, "Que chido!" (cool) Anyway, we have already seen miracles in our area. I have learned so much from Hna. Aveñdano. She has 7 months in the mission and is seriously incredible! 

3. If there is one thing I could have right now it would be grilled salmon and steamed vegetables. Someone eat it for me!

4. Hermana Bontempo left me and I'm so sad! I love you Compañera! You're going to do amazing in Texas! I'll send you any tienda snacka you want! GO FIND THOSE CHAPINES!!

5. So we are teaching a family that I love with all my heart. They don't have a house and basically don't have anything. Lesbia (the mom) is 9 months and 5 days pregnant! She has never been to the doctor... Leonel (the dad) came to the conference yesterday and his eyes were seriously glued to the screen! He said, "The Book of Mormon makes sense, I mean, it says in the bible that there is another book!" I was like, "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY MISSION!" I LOVE it when people can read because that means they can read the most important book that will change their lives! I love this family, they don't have anything and I wish I could give them everything I have. I am reminded everyday here in Guatemala to be thankful for my food and shelter and clothing. These people are so humble! Remember to be grateful! I didn't get to hear Pres. Uchtdorf but I heard that's what he talked about! An attitude of gratitude!

6. I love all of you! Thanks for your prayers and support!

Con todo el amor en el mundo,
Hermana Minnick

Shoutouts:
Grandpa John and Grandma Shirley! Thanks for the letter! Love and miss you!
Grandpa Chuck and Grandma Lauradean!  Thanks for the email! Love you too!
Papa Sherrell and Grandma Linda - I am getting all your dear elders!  Thanks for all the updates and love!
Sara! Shoah! Syd! Miss you guys! Thanks for keeping me updated! I LOVEDDDDD THE PACKAGE!!! You guys get the best package of the year award!


My last day con Leyvita!

Learning how to be a girl!


Hermana Leyva!!


I'm not fat anymore thanks to my parasite friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment