Monday, October 21, 2013

"Insert Creative Title Here..."

Hi pues. Como estan? I hope this letter written with love finds you in a happy state.  If not. I would encourage you to go find a trampoline, jump on it for a while, eat an ice cream cone (I prefer vanilla with caramel) and then read the Book of Mormon.  Or you can just eat a spoon full of sugar like Mary Poppins says.  But, the jumping on the trampoline route is much healthier minus the ice cream part.  I promise I'm mostly normal.  Moving on then...

First...I've been meaning to write this for like a month and a half, but please excuse my horrible grammar, sentence structure, spelling etc. etc.  I'm in the weird phase where I can't speak English or Spanish very well.  Soon, I wont be able to speak English at all!  So forgive me!!!   Gracias.

I'm doing wonderful here in Guate just in case you were wondering!  I don't know if I've mentioned how much I love being a missionary?  Well, if you were doubting it, I will now undoubt your mind,  

"I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!" 

It is the best you guys. It is a privilege to be here!!!

I thought I would make a list of all of the names I have been called walking through the streets...I won't list all of them because that would be bad...

1.   Elderes..haha
2.   Cancha
3.   Gringita
4.   Hija mia
5.   Barbie
6.   Babe
7.   Hermanita
8.   Alta
9.   Gorda...I don't like that one.
10. Muñeca
11. Preciosa
12. Angel..my favorite
13. Also they make this hideous snake noise sound to get your attention...everyone does it.  I am still getting used to it.

I've been called a lot of names here, the one that I love the most is angel.  I don't get called that often, but when I do it makes it all worth it!  I know who I am and I know who I represent! 

This last week was awesome!  On Saturday Hna. Chana and Lucia were baptized.  I believe that Satan works hard everyday, but on baptism days he works REALLY hard!!!  It rained harder than I have ever seen in my life. There weren't rain drops... there were thick streams of water falling from the heavens!  Chana and Lucia live deep in the jungle. The hike to their house is hard to conquer even in the day time. I've rolled my ankle twice...haha.  The baptism was at 7pm... in Guatemala everyday at 6 the sun sets... SO, it was pitch black, POURING and we had to go and pick them up. Here are some words to describe what we went through because I don't have time to write the story: 

drunk man, river, rocks, rain, sprinting, falling, pitch black, baptism. 

It was an experience I will never forget. I walked into the church doors sopping wet from head to toe covered in mud but it doesn't matter because Chana and Lucia were baptized and it was beautiful!!  One thing I have learned here, if we are obedient, if we strive to be like our Savior and stand on the Lord's side of the line we will ALWAYS win. The Lord's team always wins. 

Yesterday I finished reading the Book of Mormon again. After, I had the sweet opportunity to go up on my roof and pray vocally. I can say with full conviction of heart that I know that The Book of Mormon is true. It is the word of God. It testifies of Jesus Christ and His plan, His atonement, and what we need to do on this earth to qualify for celestial glory. Read this book everyday of your life and I promise you, you will be protected. Joseph Smith restored the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Thomas S. Monson is our living prophet!  Families can be together forever!  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is TRUE!!  I know these things through the power of the Holy Ghost.  I cannot deny it. This is why I am happy, this is what drives me. We are children of our Heavenly Father!!  I love this gospel! 

Keep working hard! Smile! Have fun! Be an example! Read your scriptures! Use the atonement!

Love you!!!
Hermana Minnick

Shoutouts..

MOM! You rock! Thanks for the packages!!!
I received letters from Sara, Suzanne, Grandma Linda, and Zane!
All of you dear elder writers!! THANKS!!
Keep writing! I'll write back!!!!!

Happy late birthday Grandma Linda! I love you!! 
From Tami: Jake Nilson in our ward made these cute Halloween Pillowcases and Toni Nilson made the banner!  HAPPY HALLOWEEN WHIT and roomies!

I have fallen asleep on my knees more than once.


Zone Mazatenango Lincoln

RAINNNNNN!

Hna. Chana and her ninos!



My desk!


Baptism of Hna. Chana y Lucia Walip!  They are incredible!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment