Monday, November 4, 2013

FEARS

Here in the mission field I am overcoming all of my fears. 

For example:

1.  Cocroaches (I have no idea how to spell anymore). We have a roach that lives in our kitchen and he is FAST!  He also likes to jump out at random times and makes me scream loud enough that the owner of our house comes running up to save me. This week it is my mission to find him and kill him.

2.  I have overcome my fear of all types of other creepy crawling things with more than two eyes.

3.  I have overcome my fear of talking on the phone. Tanner and mom will be happy to hear that.

4.  I am not afraid to share the gospel. You can bet your bottom dollar that any one who looks me in the eye is going to hear something about the restored gospel. 

Do you want to know a secret? When I came on my mission, I had this fear of contacting. I hated it. On the bus, in the street, knocking on doors.  I thought it was so awkward.  Even more awkward because I couldn't speak the language!  One morning I woke up a little discouraged and decided that a talk by Elder Holland would help me snap out of it.  I can't remember what it is called, but I know its recent.  He talks about Peter and how he went back out to the sea to fish.  He talks about how our Savior Jesus Christ went to Peter and asked, 

"Peter, do you love me? Do you love me?" 

Basically his point was, if you love me, then why are you here? Why aren't you out declaring my gospel? Why are you wasting your time?  

This talk sunk deep deep deep into my heart.  It has made all of the difference on my mission.  That same day I sat down on the bus and I dreaded contacting for a second. Then, I remembered why I was here. The words came to my mind, 

"Whitney, do you love me?" 

I love my Savior. Every time I have fear to open my mouth I ask myself, "Do I love my Savior?" The answer of course is always YES!  The fear leaves, and the faith floods in.

Do you love our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? If your answer is yes, act.  Open your mouth to those who do not have the same happiness and knowledge that we have. Serve others as he did.  Keep the commandments.  Show your love for the Savior through your actions.  Show your love through your willingness to repent.  I know that this gospel is the key to our happiness.  The Book of Mormon is true. Families are strengthened in Christ centered homes. 

This last week we had a hard time finding people who wanted to listen to us. For the first time in my mission I had a door slammed in my face, it was weird. Two Sundays ago we were praying so hard that our investigators would come to church. We sat down in sacrament meeting with nobody. I was so sad! All of the sudden a family came in. They sat down next to me and my companion and asked if this was the Church of Jesus Christ. I smiled and said yes. Then they said, someone told us that if we wanted to have a happier family and more peace in our home we should come here. First my jaw dropped, then I smiled and said, 

"Well you have come to the right place!" 

Later we found out that this family had walked two hours to get to church with their two little girls. It is true that the Lord is preparing people to receive His gospel. If we can't find them ourselves, the Lord will place them in our hands. I am excited for this family.








These are the shoes of Byron Paz. This happened after we walked two hours to a teaching appointment and two hours back. Byron is still an investigator but I’m pretty sure that sometimes he has a stronger testimony than I do. He can’t get baptized yet because his wife who left him thirty years ago is taking forever to sign papers so that he can get divorced then be baptized. (I know, usually we are waiting for them to get married!) The members and people here are incredible. I hope that when I get home, I can be like Byron and preach the gospel with the missionaries until my shoes are worn with holes.
I love this work. I love being a missionary. And, I love you guys! Thanks for writing me!

Love,
Hna. Minnick

Shoutouts!!
  • Mom you always get a shoutout because your the best!
  • Julie Terry!! THANK YOU FOR THE PACKAGES! The peanut butter was gone in like two seconds!!
  • Grandma Linda, I love your letters!
  • All of you dear elder writers... you're the bomb!! 
If you were wondering... this is how latex is made.


If I could describe my companion in three words: 
Energetic, loving, strong!


Who needs the mountains? I get to take a stroll through
a Guatemalan forrest everyday!

This is my iPhone on steriods. It actually has pretty great service.
As you can tell, I am in the middle of no where...
I am proud to announce that I can talk on the phone in Spanish without a problem.

Once a week Hna.Ostler and I are together for divisions, this week we decided we would always have a Book of Mormon in our hand.
I'm going to do it for the rest of my mission because we had some pretty amazing experiences. I know that the Book of Mormon is true.


No comments:

Post a Comment