Monday, September 1, 2014

Thoughts and Observations...

1. Sometimes investigators ask questions that I don't know the answers too. I have learned that is okay. You say, "You know what, that is a good question, I don't know the answer. But, I  will study and get back to you on that."  Also, there are some questions that no one knows the answers to...questions that can demolish a lesson if the missionary doesn't keep it under control (if you have served a mission you know what I'm talking about). Questions like, "is the glass half empty or half full?", "What came first the chicken or the egg?" "Why did the chicken cross the road?"  Well, I don't care why the chicken crossed the road and if he is a Guatemalan chicken he probably got hit by a tuk tuk and died before anyone could even mutter, "porque cruzo la calle la gallina?"  I'm set apart as a missionary to teach the DOCTRINE OF CHRIST!  Faith, repentance, baptism, receive the Holy Ghost and endure to the end!! Nada mas! I always have to remind my investigators to stick to the basics. Milk before meat! Let's not forget the small and simple things! Did you pray today? Have you read today? Will you come to church on Sunday? Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized?

2. Do you know what makes the world go round? Home and Visiting Teaching!!! I'm serious. Before my mission I did not understand it nor did I enjoy it! What a sin! I've learned on my mission how truly important it is! Now, I'm going to pull a WWJD on you... If Jesus were your home teacher would he bake a dozen chocolate chip cookies, staple a conference talk to a paper plate, set it on the front porch and doorbell ditch you? No. He would make 2 dozen, and he´d get to know you well enough to be your best friend. Don't go once a month! Go twice! If Guatemala had some more dedicated home and visiting teachers, the member of the church here would double. Now go and read the prophets words... 


3. Here is a quote by Spencer W. Kimball... 

“If only you could see the vision as I have, I wish I had your bodies to do the mission work, I would run to every house to teach the gospel and when I could no longer run then I would walk, and when I could no longer walk, I would crawl on my knees, and after my knees were so bloody that I could not use them, I would use my arms to drag myself, and once every muscle in my body was gone I would begin to yell! Oh that you could see the vision that I have."  

I haven't gotten to the point where I am dragging my body through the streets using my arms but all I know is that at the end of the day I can't even make a complete sentence. This last week was HARD! Hermana Lopez and I are tired but we are WORKING with everything that we have!! The best feeling as a missionary is collapsing on your bed after planning every night, knowing that you have nothing left to give that day!! 

4. I will never understand why Guatemalans feed me scolding hot soup in 100 degree weather. But, I am grateful for them, even though they are feeding me too much food. 

5. I've decided I am a missionary that just plants a lot of seeds. I am happy about it. I don't know what my problem is, but I always get attached to stubborn investigators. Investigators that move slowly. Remember Paulino from Pedregal? He got baptised this last Saturday!! My entire time in the office I worked with him and fought for him!! Many times people got mad at Hermana Garcia and I for not "dropping" him. The thing is that, there is only one door to enter into the kingdom! There is no other way! So, we need to fight for our investigators and make sure we have done EVERYTHING in our power to help them enter the door!! I'm so happy for Paulino!!!

6. I have learned that if I open my eyes, there are miracles in every single day. This is the Lord's work and he wants us to move a little faster. The awesome thing is that, he is right there next to us pushing the work along! Yesterday, Hermana Lopez and I left really early to gather people for church. All my ears heard were a whole lot of excuses...But, miracles happen. Remember Majo? I wrote about her last week...Well her mom showed up to church! The black sheep of the family, the woman who has been so against the church for all of these years came!! Her heart is softening and I know that she will be baptised!

I know that I had more to say but as usual, I forgot it all.

Mostly I want you all to know that I KNOW that God lives. I know that His Son, Jesus Christ lives too. They have a plan and we are a part of it!! I finished reading the Book of Mormon yesterday again. That book comforts me and teaches me more than any other book I have ever read. Please, please read it every day for extra strength and guidance!

You guys are the best. If you want to punch Satan in the face, preach the gospel!!

Love,
Hermana Minnick

P.S.
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS BOUGHT A DOG!!!! What in the world?! Someone send a doctor to my parents house to check their temperature. Please don't let it on my bed.


Pics of Kimberly, Marbeli and Maria Jose





All my companions...minus Hermana Petersen, Hermana Bontempo, and Hermana Avendano.
My future husband must thank each of them personally for making me more tolerable and cooler.
I love them!!


Don't you miss your cute sister missionary?

Chopping wood








Following pics taken from the "Mision Guatemala Retalhuleu" Facebook page...

Hijas al servicio del mas grande Dios.


Hermana Minnick y Hermana Lopez con la mejor carpeta de Area.

Mi primer Grupo de hermana que conoci en PROVO en Junio 25 en SLC.


Equipo de Voleyball Ganador.



No comments:

Post a Comment